Monday, February 24, 2014

Life after college - what they DON'T teach you in school!







I am forever grateful for my time in the dance department at Appalachian State University. I grew tremendously over my four years in the program. My passion for dance intensified and my creative vision matured. I made friends that will be my connections in the dance community for a lifetime and formed relationships with professors and mentors that I hope to continue to grow throughout my career.

          
What I failed to fully realize during my college experience, however, was that I was living in a tiny dance utopia. It was a world filled with like-minded friends who wanted to sit for hours and discuss our latest choreographic fantasies, with constant opportunities to take FREE master classes and workshops, and a space to perform and present work in the most open and accepting community. A perfect world! I didn’t realize just how spoiled I was.

          
My last two summers in Boone, I had an eye-opening and inspiring experience participating in a program called Now and Next Dance Mentoring Project, created by Ashley Thorndike-Youssef. The program is a tiered mentoring program including professional dance artists, college dancers, and middle school aged girls. Through refreshingly candid discussions with the professional dance artists, I gained a clearer understanding of how to make a life as a dancer. We discussed topics like how to pay the bills as a dancer and the variety of jobs that these successful dance artists had held throughout their careers. We talked about the importance of keeping connections and engaging in your community, as well as practical matters like health insurance for dancers, writing grants, and filing a dance company as a not-for-profit. This was all extremely valuable knowledge that I wouldn’t have gotten in my normal dance courses and am grateful to have had passed along from the seasoned pros. 

          
After almost three years in “the real world”, I have learned a lot about piecing together a life as a dancer. It’s not quite as peachy as it was in college, with everything laid out for me, but it’s an adventure. I value the time I had in college because it allowed me to grow into a mature artist in a safe and nurturing environment, but even more, I value the time I have right now to challenge myself, push myself out of my comfort zone, and find my individual voice as an artist and dancer. 

Submitted by TDC apprentice Molly Kirkpatrick on Monday, February 24, 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment