Saturday, March 8, 2014

Thoughts on turning 18!


I was surfing the internet looking for its thoughts about turning 18 so that I could begin to shape my own ideas about it, and I ran across this:  18th Birthday Party Ideas: A Shared Wisdom Party. What a novel idea.

While the only real party will probably just be me having a quiet glass of wine I have been thinking a lot about TDC turning 18.  First, good god, where has all the time gone?  I can't even begin to calculate how many dancers, collaborators, dances, performances, hours in the studio or hours of administrative time devoted to maintaining the company.  Maybe this is an instance to implement a shared wisdom party. 

Time flies while you are having fun.  Enjoy every minute of what you love doing. 

While there are a great many successes prepare for failures and own them.

Relationships either be them brief or long lasting are ultimately tied to sustainability. 

Treat others the way that you want to be treated inside and outside of the creative process.  

Be proud but be humble. 

Honor the past and respect the present.

Look toward that future and be ready to adapt.  There is no other way to survive. 

It is virtually impossible to like every one of your peers fully and equally.  But, show them respect. In the end it creates a stronger community for everyone. 

Share your knowledge and resources generously with others.  It has the potential to circle back to you one way or another.

And, say thank you. 

I am truly grateful for all the dancers, choreographers, mentors, board members, funders, sponsors, donors, family members, friends, peers and audience members who have shared this journey with me and the company. I am humbled by this life I have been able to l carve out for myself in field of dance and in the city of Chicago. 

Thank you!

Submitted by Margi Cole, TDC Artistic Director on March 8, 2014. 




No comments:

Post a Comment