Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Life after college - following your dreams but paying your bills too!

Photo by Eric Olson


After graduating from Appalachian State University with degrees in Dance Studies and Psychology, I moved back home with my parents to figure out my next step and save some money to make that step possible.  After a couple months of working and living rent-free (thanks, Mom and Dad!), I decided I had saved enough to make a leap of faith and move to “The Big (second) City”. I knew I wanted to be in a place where I could be a part of a thriving and innovative dance community and hoped Chicago could be that place for me.


I was lucky to find a job working in a dance store fairly quicklyt after moving, which made it possible for me to enjoy my free time exploring the city and especially the vast dance scene. At the end of that first summer, I auditioned for the Dance COLEctive and was so pleased to accept an apprentice position with the company. I felt as though I had achieved my dream! I was living in an incredible city and had landed a real-life dancing job! I was over the moon.


I can honestly say that I still feel this same way. I am still in love with this city (more so when the temperature is in the positive range!) and haven’t stopped exploring all that it has to offer. I am currently working two jobs to make ends meet. One as a clinic coordinator at an acupuncture and massage clinic and the other serving at a local bar. I love my jobs. I work with amazing people and feel appreciated for what I do. But most importantly, working these jobs makes it possible for me to pay my bills and allows me to dance with the unbelievable women I spend every Tuesday and Thursday with. I feel lucky to be able to pursue my passion in such an incredible place with the inspirational support and friendship from the TDC team. 

Submitted by TDC Apprentice Molly Kirkpatrick on Tuesday, February 11, 2014.  

No comments:

Post a Comment