Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Words From the Dancers on Performing at The Pritzker


In 2010 I interned with The American Dance Festival in Durham, North Carolina. My
 job was to assist in documenting the different dance companies and speakers that
came to the festival. I had the opportunity to meet Artistic Directors Monica Bill Barnes
and Martha Clarke; assist in filming Pilobolus, RUBBERBANDance Group, and Paul
Taylor, among others. From my experience during the internship, I learned that every person has a role, both on stage and off. At the time, I did not know where I wanted my focus to be. However, after seeing a variety of companies perform on small stages to large theaters, by the end of the festival I knew that I wanted to perform. When I got back to Chicago, The Chicago Dance Festival was taking place on The Pritzker Stage in Millennium Park. I had just witnessed amazing dance in North Carolina and returned to amazing dance in Chicago. It was towards the end of the summer, I was sitting on the great lawn and the Joffrey Ballet was performing. Suddenly, questions started plaguing me: "Who picks what the viewer sees? What does it mean to dance here verses there? How does it feel to perform in this space over a different space?" I asked these questions to a few of my fellow TDC dancers as we took to the Pritzker Stage this past weekend for FlySpace. 

Photo by William Frederking
"I was in college at the time and had only performed on The Dance Center stage and a few small venues around the city. Having this opportunity this past weekend to perform on the same stage that critically acclaimed musicians, dance companies and other forms of art/entertainment have touched is inspiring and intimidating. The Pritzker Stage is a beautiful space and I am excited that the viewer not only gets to see the work up close but also gets to experience being a part of the space. During most shows, the viewer is on the outside, often far away. For the FlySpace programs, audience members have the opportunity to see the tiny details, view the city's southern skyline, take in the woodwork, hear the dancers breathe, and feel the energy of the works and the space."~Julie Boruff

"Performing on the Pritzker Stage is an experience like no other. There are so many
unique aspects of the space that make every gesture feel monumental. Seats on the
stage and in the loft force intimacy with the audience, yet at the same time the vast
backdrop of the pavilion creates a landscape and a tremendous sense of depth
behind the work. You are aware of the inside and outside at the same time, which
offers a very different experience, both as a performer and an audience member,
than that of a dark, enclosed black box theater. I am truly excited to have the
opportunity to dance on this stage, and I am proud to participate in this important,
initial undertaking of the FlySpace strategic partnership."~Maggie Koller


"FlySpace provides a broad platform for Chicago artists, further extending an
additional outlet to our community. Combining our voices and enhancing our
audience’s awareness will hopefully generate a wider interest in our individual
crafts. This is a great opportunity geared towards seeing the modern dance scene
boom. I’m glad that TDC is apart of this involvement. I’ve watched multiple acclaimed dance companies prance across the Pritzker Stage over the past 5 years and I always imagined how amazing it would be to do the same. I never thought I’d get the opportunity, ever. I can’t even fathom how alluring the theater is and how truly amazing the ability to step onto the stage, let alone dance my heart out. I’m honored to perform in such a beautiful space and to be sharing the structure with another dance company who idolizes it just the same. I keep taking everything in, making sure I see something new every time I perform –especially looking out the windows and beyond the buildings. Excited!"~Katie Petrunich


"Performing on the Pritzker Stage feels like such a privilege. The space is
unbelievably beautiful. The high ceilings, vast, open space with a large glass wall
overlooking the city is unlike any other space I have ever performed in. Although the
space seems large, using it as a dance venue turns it into a very intimate space. The
audience sits on the same level as the dancers as if they are part of the performance
themselves. After a certain time at night, you begin to see reflections of the dancers
in the glass, as well as shadows dancing around the entire space, adding layers to
the performance. It is a really exciting experience to have the honor to dance in this 
space!"~Molly Kirkpatrick

Submitted by TDC Apprentice Julie Boruff on Tuesday, April 16, 2013.   

No comments:

Post a Comment