Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Past- Forward


Photo by Eric Olson
Past:
I was first introduced to dance in the 6th grade, I was told “cool” girls dance. I guess I wanted to be cool so I took a class and fortunately got hooked. However, before coming to Columbia College Chicago I had no real formal dance training, but that’s a whole different story. My first modern dance technique class was with Margi Cole. I had no
idea what I was doing. I was swishing on the floor, doing contractions, getting acquainted with my sit bones, experiencing the prance for the first time and more. Through my inexperience, I desired to learn. Margi was a teacher that I highly respected. She helped me find the technique that was buried in my body. My freshman year of college, I saw a few dance shows, but the one I remember the most was The Dance COLEctive’s when I saw 13 for the first time. I remember connecting well with the piece. I was not only inspired by the content but also by the dancers. I admired their presence, movement vocabulary, humor, and ease with speaking on stage. It was a level of professionalism that I wanted to embody. Entering into my junior year of college, I auditioned for TDC. I did not make it into the company that time around but I knew I would try again. I had Margi as a teacher a few more times at Columbia, but in my final semester, I grew as a dancer and performer under her direction. She taught a Performance Rep Class during that semester, teaching our class how to behave, learn, grow and perform like a company. I respected the way she treated us and how she was able to handle any situation. So when summer came around, I again auditioned for the company.

Forward:
Having the opportunity to be a part of TDC this year has been a true joy. It was surreal to be a part of the recreation of the piece 13 because that was the first piece I had seen  my freshmen year of college. I have been challenged as a performer through different performance spaces, audience awareness, movement vocabulary, text and content of the various pieces we have worked on. As an artist/dancer, being challenged both mentally and physically is crucial, and TDC provides that environment of growth. We are currently polishing up Moving Stories, a piece to be performed during the launch of FlySpace on the Pritzker Stage next weekend April 12-14. There is such a natural raw beauty to the work that I have not felt in a long time. The piece is honest, intricate and very human. I am excited and dazed to be able to perform with The Dance COLEctive not even a full year out of school on the Pritzker. I am looking forward not only to our next performance but to what the next year will bring.

Submitted by TDC Apprentice Julie Boruff on Thursday, April 4, 2013.  

No comments:

Post a Comment