Sunday, February 14, 2016

Shannon Interviews former TDC Dancer Nikki DiGioia Stachon

Nikki DiGioia Stachon Photo by William Frederking

What time frame were you dancing with The Dance COLEctive? 

2004-2007

What interested you in dancing with the company? 


Margi was one of my teachers at Columbia and I loved learning from her at Columbia. I went to her Summer Intensive and really get like I understood and meshed with what she had going on. I wanted to continue learning anything she had to offer.

 



What is your favorite memory of dancing with The Dance COLEctive?

Oh so many! We were all like sisters and talked about anything and everything together. I'll never forget the dressing room and doing our make up together, Rachel teaching me how to do make up, the all nighters we would have at Donnette's house, playing "kiss it goodbye" with all of Margi's old costumes....there were so many heart warming memories during those years.

What was your favorite piece you got to dance in? 


Sinking In. I loved that dance.

After leaving the company, did you continue your dance practice? How so? (I.e. Taking classes, dancing with other choreographers, teaching, choreographing) 


I danced a few years with BreakBone Dance Co. And student taught in PE/Health/Dance. With teaching, I couldn't balance week night rehearsals with TDC so I had to stop. But in 2008 I began my career as a High School PE/Dance Teacher and have been working in the field ever since. I direct the Orchesis Dance Co. And am working with the next generation on dancers/artists. I even started my 2 year old twin girls in dance recently and am on a whole new side of dance as a "dance mom". ;)

How has dancing with The Dance COLEctive influenced your teaching career? 


I constantly use Margi-isms when I teach. Margi is such a great teacher and has influenced me more than she knows. Having experience with TDC had given me real like experiments of what it takes to produce a show, behind the scenes, dance etiquette and leadership.
 

If you could have the company bring back an old work, what would it be?
 

HUES

What is your birthday wish for The Dance COLEctive?
 

For Margi to really soak in what amazing things she has done for TDC and every single dancer that has been involved. Really soak it in and be proud.

Interview Conducted and Submitted by TDC Dancer Shannon Edwards on December 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment