Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Taking a Summer off to Ride Across the Country

Photo by Eric Olson
After I graduated college in 2012, my mind was set to epic proportions. I needed a cleanse of the city to recharge my creativity. I had heard about Bike and Build, an organization that focuses on empowering youth through raising awareness, fundraising, public speaking, and working as a team not only on the road but also on construction projects for affordable housing. A good friend of mine had participated in the trip and strongly encouraged me to apply.

Taking the entire summer to bike across the country was as nerve racking as it was exciting. I was nervous about all the logistics of when I would return; money, housing and in particular, dance. Our route, although beautiful, was at times physically demanding. We rode through multiple mountain ranges and became friends with forceful headwinds. It made me realize how far my body could be pushed.

Coming back to dance was an easier transition than I had anticipated, at least on a cardiovascular level. My movement pick up skills were definitely rusty, which I expected, but I put more pressure on myself to stay focused in rehearsals because I had taken the summer off from dance. It was also nice to come back into a supportive environment and dance community. Margi and the Company were all very encouraging before, during, and after my trip and helped to correct the things that were off in my body. Additionally, I was ready to start creating and collaborating again. The summer was buzzing with new experiences, new places and people coming from all walks of life that I could now bring to the table.  Reflecting back, my decision to take a break was totally beneficial. It challenged me to face my goals, especially those relating to the field of dance, and it boosted my creativity by giving me a new outlook. Although my dancing body wasn’t in the same position before the trip, I had a new appreciation for the art and desire to get back in the swing of things. When it comes to travel and creativity, the words of St. Augustine sum it up,

“ The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page.”

Submitted by TDC Apprentice Julie Boruff on Tuesday, April 23, 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment