Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Professional Dance: The Balancing Act

Photo By Eric Olson

Since I moved back to Chicago in 2006, I have consistently danced with two or more companies at the same time. Over the course of a season or an overlapping project the juggling act ebbs and flows between being adequately balanced and completely exhausting.

One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is that rehearsing for two companies within a single day is very hard to manage. The level of energy and focus required for two separate 4-hour rehearsal periods is simply too much for me. I never want dancing to feel like a job, and when I am so tired I start to resent having to move through space, I know it’s time to reevaluate my commitments. Now I try to make sure that my rehearsals are each on separate days of the week, and that gives me the space I need to recharge and remain present throughout each company’s rehearsal process.

Though the performance schedules of the companies I’ve danced for are often spread throughout the year, November 16th may prove to be very interesting. To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Chicago Dancemakers Forum (CDF), I will be performing with The Dance COLEctive, Ayako Kato/Art Union Human Scape, and Khecari at the Museum of Contemporary Art, all within a 1.5 hour window. Quick changes, here I come!


The company is very excited about participating in the Chicago Dancemakers Forum Break Out! Celebrating ten years of supporting new work by Chicago dancemakers on Nov 16, 2013!


Submitted by TDC dancer Maggie Koller, Thursday, September 26, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment