Thursday, May 9, 2013

“..how the hell did this happen?”

Well here we are, nearing the end of The Dance COLEctiveʼs 17th season and Iʼm looking back at the past two years thinking “..how the hell did this happen?” I remember showing up to my first Modern 1 class at Columbia College Chicago oh so many years ago, a bit apprehensive about this new teacher talking about the wonder twins, little green men, and corn. But, I stuck with it. After semesters of thinking that I would never make it to a professional dance company, especially Margi Coleʼs (or really wondering if I even wanted to perform), I found myself unable to stay away from her, her classes, the companyʼs performances, and its dancers. There was something about it that I respected so much.

I knew from the minute I left high school that I wanted to pursue my teaching certificate in Dance and that it would require time and effort. So, during the frequent 3 hour commute to and from Milwaukee, I realized that teaching wasnʼt the only part of dance that I wanted for myself. I needed something in my life that I didnʼt have to control all the time, something that fulfilled the creative side of me but something that also allowed me the chance to share my life with others (a collective perhaps (I know, super cheesetastic)) closer to my age. At the time, the only people I had the opportunity to share with were the ones who wanted to know my favorite color, if I had a mom and lived in a house, and that they just got a brand new outfit and hairdo that I NEEDED to know about. After attending my umpteenth Dance COLEctive performance, I checked the program and committed myself to the audition 7 months away. I attended the summer workshop and was surprised with how many of the dancers I knew, or who actually remembered me from coming to company class. Being there, dancing with these girls was just so comfortable. I appreciated that and understood that this wasnʼt just a dance company, it was a family that had been thoughtfully formed through the direction of a woman who took the time to research her dancerʼs values and goals. I wanted it. I respected it, and knew that this was the “something else.”

Photo by Mike Doyle




 













And now here I sit, explaining all of this to you but reflecting to myself about how it all came to be. Something I didnʼt fully understand until now. I am nearing the end of my second year with the company after starting as an apprentice and couldnʼt be more grateful for the opportunities provided to me. Itʼs been made clear that nothing is accomplished without full commitment, and that if you want something enough you must work your way towards it through as many paths as you can find. The Dance COLEctive, in my eyes, is an established, respected, and carefully constructed crew of beautiful dancers I can proudly say I am a part of, and if you have the chance or interest, I highly recommend inquiring about it.

 Submitted by TDC Dancer Madelyn Doyle on Tuesday, May 9, 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Yes really appreciate your efforts of dance that is really remarkable for me.

    ReplyDelete