Thursday, February 21, 2013

Trust The Process

 
Every choreographer has her own creative process. The variety of approaches fascinates me. I have worked with choreographers who come into the rehearsal space with a definite plan, with diagrams and extensive notes, and with choreographers who like to come into the space with only a feeling and see where that takes them. The Dance COLEctive’s Margi Cole is somewhere in between.  She always has a plan, whether she makes it known to the dancers or not, and she allows that plan to evolve and unfold in an organic way. Margi’s process often involves writing assignments, word lists for movement invention, and lots of rubbing material together, stripping it down and then piecing it back together again. 

Currently in rehearsal, we are reconstructing a piece the company did last year. We are creating some new material as well as relearning -- or in my case as a new member, learning --  old material. This is a new layer to the process for me, having never worked with a company that has a repertory of work to pull from. 

As a newbie, I’m relying heavily on the veteran dancers who know the material, and they are very helpful. They remember the material quickly and are able to help teach sections of the work that Margi wants to salvage from the original piece.  

We’re also using video to learn the piece. What a challenge! I get all turned around directionally when taking the movement from video and transferring it into the space. Which way are things facing? Which foot is doing what? Where are they in space?

Having been a dancer all my life, mimicking movement is like second nature. All this would come so naturally to me that I wouldn’t even think about it. But video is different: I have to keep rewinding the tape over and over and watching and re-watching even the most simple movements. And subtle things like where a movement initiated from remain a mystery.  


Just like learning movement from a dancer is a learned skill, so is learning from video. I have to keep reminding myself of that instead of putting myself down by thinking, “This shouldn’t be so hard!  What is wrong with me?!”. I need to put the movement perfectionist in me to rest.

It’s also important for me to remember that although we are re-staging an existing work, the work we are creating is new. There is a new cast of dancers, new stories and experiences influencing the work, and the finished product will be different.   I’m working on trusting the process, and on trusting myself. 


Submitted by TDC Apprentice Molly Kirkpatrick on Thursday, February 21, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment