Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Path I Traveled

Photo by Eric Olson
Years ago, I thought long and hard on the big decision of where I wanted to go to college and what I'd be doing for the rest of my life. The only thing I knew and kept reverting back to, the place where I felt most comfortable and like myself, was when I was dancing. I am truly thankful my parents supported my ultimate dream, no matter the cost. (Trust me, I’m definitely paying for it.) Sometimes I wonder why they didn’t avert my ambitious 17-year-old-self from attending a school in which I could sustain a job that allowed me to support myself financially. What did I know? And then again, would I listen anyway? But, in writing this blog, I’m really glad they didn’t. I fully enjoyed my college experience once I stopped being a homesick baby. I wore sweatpants to class, I went to dance performances and dinners, I danced every day for four years while learning to stand on my own. Sometimes it was brutal and exhausting, but well worth the exploration. Not to mention, I met a lot of great people who are a huge part of the Chicago dance scene, and my life.

I worked part-time through college at a dancewear store a few blocks from my dorm in the city. After graduation, that job turned into a full-time opportunity, so I stayed. The first year after graduation, I went to numerous auditions- the pickings were slim and like all auditions, competition was intense. I am not a highfalutin dancer, probably the least flexible dancer in the history of the universe, but I found where my quirks and creativity were acceptable. This occurred a year later when I was asked to be an apprentice with The Dance COLEctive. Though the apprenticeship was an unpaid position, I was able to put my BA in dance to good use, and luckily I had a job that supported me and two roommates to help share the costs of living.

Along my way, I strangely stumbled into the field of law. I think I got lucky considering the fact that I now work full-time as a legal assistant downtown. I never dreamed of this when I was younger, ever. Dancer? Yes. Teacher? Maybe. Legal assistant??? No. Never even a question. But I feel really grateful that I understand and am pretty good at what I do, as it pays the bills. It’s one of those things that definitely happened for a reason. Working a 9:00am to 5:00pm is convenient and sometimes redundant. And redundancy is well, redundant. I'd like to know what job isn't. I’m glad that my schedule allows "me" time to even have a source – an outlet granting me the opportunity to take an uppercut to my routine – rehearsing, teaching, creating work, performing, and taking class year round.

I have come to find that it is tough to find a dance career that pays the bills, even now as a company member, and in this teetering economy. I am happy that I get to do what I love on nights and weekends and have the monetary support I need working during the day. Grant it, most of my days are technically 12 hour workdays and on occasion there is sacrifice for fun, family, and time, I get to do what I love which definitely keeps me sane. Most people can't say that and maybe some people don’t even get the chance.

Dance and TDC has been a major constant during the most important time of my life while finding myself and evolving as an adult. It’s always been the one thing I can rely on. It’s hard to count on and trust people, but every Tuesday and Thursday night, I know my team is there, and I know I can find myself there too.


Submitted by TDC dancer Katie Petrunich on January 26, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment