Sunday, January 27, 2013

I may have lost a hen yesterday but I have eggs for tomorrow.

Post Show Blues....

Post performance week for me is generally a challenge...  I am wrought with pride over the work the company has done and inspired to try again.  Relieved it is over and just plain worn out.  (This time I landed a pretty good cold that had me down till Friday.)  I am already making lists about clean up and next steps.  Sending thank yous, washing and putting away costumes, re-stowing gadgets, glow tapes, first aid kits and sewing props. 

Ultimately, I am looking at box office receipts and ticket numbers and asking myself, "What do I need to do in order to get more butts in the seats?".

TDC was particularly well received this time.  We had 4 outstanding reviews and some lovely previews.  Our loyal followers and family came to support us in our new venue!  The feedback was positive and real!  The word was out and the weather was not 40 below.... So, what gives?  Was it because of President's Day weekend, because school was not in session?  Location?  People are just plain not interested?  I find myself constantly trying to figure out the formula for full houses and sadly it just does not compute.  This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night....  Not only is it disappointing for me as an artistic director and administrator it is disappointing for the dancers, and that makes me unsettled.

But, as a friend said, "Do not dwell.  Use this as a learning experience and move on."  Trouble is, I am just not sure what I have learned from it yet.   Sometimes I think there has just got to be a better way to do all this but I am just not sure what it is. Until I figure that out I am just going to continue to put my best foot forward, no pun intended.  I know I continue to do this for all the right reasons.  I am passionate about it, this is what I love and I have a group of dancers, board members and friends who are dedicated to my vision.  The pay off is big!  It is not financial, but it is more than worth it!

This is the nature of the beast!

Now!  On to our next performances on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion Stage in April, the launch of FlySpace, the Wellness Jam and the musings of our next Social Media Diva! 

Submitted by TDC Artistic Director Margi Cole on Wednesday, January 27, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment